Saturday, June 5, 2010

The Passion of Mary Margaret

Finally finished my first book of the challenge, The Passion of Mary-Margaret by Lisa Samson.

Sister Mary-Margaret lived a life dedicated to serving God, but not in ways she thought she would. The story is told from Mary-Margaret's point of view as she writes her memoirs to leave behind for the younger sisters in her order. She tells of starting out life as an orphan raised by relatives, her life as an unmarried novitiate, and then of her marriage to Jude - a rebellious youth she grew up with on the Chesapeake Bay island where they lived.

The writing style of this particular book made the story difficult for me to get into, but around page 50 or so things started coming together for me. Samson tied up all the various plot lines to create a touching and poignant story about trusting God with your life. However, some of the "tie-ups" felt a bit rushed and convenient. Outside of this as and a couple theological issues I didn't necessarily agree with, it was a moving and beautiful story. I see why it received an award nomination. Overall I give it 3 1/2 stars and will be looking for more of Samson's books in the future.

Now, on to book 2 as soon as I figure out what that one's going to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment