Sunday, June 6, 2010

June Bug by Chris Fabry

For my second book, I picked June Bug by Chris Fabry. This was the second title in the Christy Award category Contemporary Stand Alone Novel. I went into this book not expecting to like it because I've started a couple other titles by Fabry in the past and wasn't able to get into them. But, I thought I'd give it a shot anyway and boy am I glad I did.

June Bug and her father, John, live in an RV traveling from place to place. Or they did until the RV broke down in a Walmart parking lot. On one of her many trips into the store, June Bug sees her picture on a missing children poster with the name Natalie Ann Edwards printed underneath. As events begin to unfold in the story, June Bug learns about her past and why she and her dad don't stay in one place very long. This is a fast-paced, character driven story in which Fabry keeps you guessing until the very end.

I really came to like June Bug and found myself cheering her on to a happy ending. I came around to liking her dad, too, once certain things came out about June Bug's mother. When the story ended I found myself wondering what would happen to him next. I certainly wouldn't argue if Fabry wrote the next chapter of John's life.

All in all this was a great book. I give it four stars and am thinking about trying again on the the two books I couldn't get into.

No comments:

Post a Comment