Sunday, August 4, 2013

Saturday's reading

I had the house to myself yesterday and got a ton of reading done. In the morning I had to run some errands and do some things around the house, so I took advantage of the challenge rule that allows one audiobook. 

In all I spent approximately 3 hours and 28 minutes listening to Dog On It by Spencer Quinn. In this book a dog named Chet tells how he and his owner Bernie, a private detective, solve the case of a missing teenager. Normally I don't like books told from an animals point of vie. However, Chet has won me over. He's got a humorous way of analyzing human behavior and may be one of my new favorite main characters. I've still got a ways to go on this book, but so it's a five star read.

Then, I got to spend the afternoon finishing a book I started back in June, United States Army: the Definitive Illustrated Edition by D.M. Giangreco. It took me 8 hours and 40 minutes, but it's done. I give this one four out of five stars. The author gives detailed history of the U.S. Army, uniforms, weapons, and battles beginning before the American Revolution and covering through Afghanistan in 2011. He left out what I think must have been key moments in our country's military history though, such as African American soldiers, women in combat, and don't ask, don't tell. Hence the four stars out of five. If you, like me have forgotten much of what you learned in high school history class, I highly recommend this book.

Total reading time for Saturday = 12 hours and 8 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment