Friday, June 3, 2011

This Evening's Reading Adventures

So, I really did start at 5:30, While driving home from work I listened to a portion of the audio book I"m currently listening to The Deeds of the Disturber by Elizabeth Peters.

A few minutes ago, I reached the end of print book number one. It was one I started some time ago, but finished it during these first few hours of the challenge. Here's my review:

Title: On Hummingbird Wing
Author: Lauraine Snelling

When Gillian loses her high profile job she chooses to come home to help care for her ailing mother. This means moving (at least temporarily) to California from New York. There she finds a life she never expected and when it seems like she'll have an opportunity to go back to her life in New York, she has some choices to make.

I enjoyed getting to know the characters in this story and could relate to many of the choices Gillian had to make. I also particularly liked the symbolism of the hummingbird that Snelling wove throughout the story. Overall the storyline was good, but the writing style took a bit for me to get used to. Once I did though, I was hooked. It was a beautiful and enjoyable story. I recommend this book to those who like a gentle romance, who have had to care for an ailing parent, or who have ever had to make choices in matters of the heart.

Here are my times so far:

5:30-5:56 - Listened to Deeds of the Disturber while driving to an errand I needed to run.

6:00-6:40 - Back in the car and listening to Deeds of the Disturber.

6:51-7:10 - At home, changed to cozy sweats and settled in to read On Hummingbird Wings. Stopped to put some dinner together.

7:24-9:05 - Settled back in to finish off On Hummingbird Wings and add it to various book related sites and this blog.

Now it's on to book # 2.

Update - Total reading time for Friday June 3 - 2 hours 56 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment