Sunday, June 7, 2009

Book Number 3

My third book in the 48 Hour Book Challenge is Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney.

This is probably the last book I'll complete for the challenge, but I've still got 25 minutes left, so I'll see how far I get in the next one. Meanwhile, here's my review of Diary of a Wimpy Kid

This is the journal of Greg Heffley, middle schooler. At the beginning of the school year Greg's mom suggests he keep a journal. The "highlights" of his school year include wrestling class in P.E., making a haunted house with his friend Rowley, his brief but failed campaign for class treasurer and the disastrous class play. Despite these "highlights," things are going pretty okay. That is until Rowley starts gaining popularity among their classmates. Rowley and Greg start having some differences of opinion and tensions begin to devlop. Does this spell the end of their friendship forever?

Greg was my favorite character is this book. He is funny, sarcastic, and definitely a character kids can relate to. The middle-school world provides a familiar setting for readers. Kinney's informal tone and humorous cartoon illustrations give a freshness to the story that readers will appreciate.

I recommend this to parents who wonder what middle school is like now days and to all middle-school readers who wonder if anyone knows what they're going through. Take heart, Greg Heffley does and he'll be around to tell you more in the next few books in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment